View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 01:15 AM   #94
Angryman117

Re: 1947 Chevy Truck Hotrod

Haulin, Thanks for the info, this is definetly not one of my strong areas. My goal initially was to try and keep all the measurements as they were on the truck I pulled them off and then fine tune from there.

As for the idler arm I plan on moving that out as well, just have not done that yet, moving in the middle of a build sucks.

I was trying to avoid cutting up the center link if I could . Bump steer is also one of my main concerns. Was thinking about pulling the spring out and rasing truck up and down to test. Need to get ones that are less stiff anyway.
If you have good links that explain or show it I will definetly check them out! Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
What Jason is asking about here is valid. What is important is that the steering gear pitmon arm & idler arm be level to the crossmember, both pointing forward when going straight & be on the same plane viewed from the side. Another area of concern is that the pivot of the inner tie rods match very closely the width of the lower control arm pivots (yours will be much wider). Removing the amount from the tie rods & sleeves solved the obvious problem but is really only a partial "fix" & will likely lead to other problems. The "correct" way to do it would be removing the same 1 1/2" from the center link & leave the tie rods alone.

I can see in the photos, you have the box moved out from the frame on your brackets, but the idler arm is bolted up flat. Some of this may be good (you have room to move the box inward) but some not so much.

What you need to be concerned with is the centerline of the inner tie rod pivots compared to the control arm pivot centerline while maintaining the pitmon arm (steering box in the center of it's travel) & idler arm facing straight ahead.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but hope this helps clear up a few things, let you know how to go about fixing it or also if you chose to do nothing & down the road something odd shows up in the alignment, bump steer, ect. you'll at least know the how's & why's of what's going on. Lorne
Angryman117 is offline   Reply With Quote