View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Need help fixin a race. :)

Thanks to all that have replied. I compared the old race to the new race. I had two different bearing races on the truck. Different as in one side had part numbers (inner&outer) the other side did not have any part numbers (inner and outer) the outer race with no part number fits the hub in the same way as my new replacement does. It's a little tight as it starts to go in but then it drops into place and It free spins in the bore. I remember as i was punching out the old race that it only took a couple of good whacks with my mini sledge and brass punch to free it from the bore. When I looked at where the bearing rides in the race there was an actual ridge worn into the face of the bearing race. And the outside diameter of the race looked like it got hot as it was slightly blued and had pitting. The inside of the hub bore for the outer bearing looks the same but not discolored. I'm thinking someone in the past over tightened the bearing causing it to heat up and wallow out the hub bore.

Well, it appears that my only option at this point is to try and find a replacement hub. Which sucks because I just replaced all of the wheel studs on that one because one of the studs was snapped in half when we bought it. HMM... now I'm starting to think the two issues may be related to one another. Oh well, keep the project rollin on.

Anybody got a spare hub then wanna get rid of?
I'll post in the WTB just in case.
Thanks again to all your input. That's why I love this site.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote