View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #927
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

The wiring is complete and 100% commissioned. Ended up with 14 relays in order to incorporate the factory stalk/wand controls (cruise (not connected yet), wipers, W.S. washer, flash to pass, high beam and turn signals) and the shift safeties (brake pressed to shift and no start in other than park and neutral). Used toggle switches to control headlights and dome light so far. I've got three spare toggles for the rest of the stuff. I even grabbed a newer factory receiver hitch mounted trailer plug and wired it in. Ran a couple of wire looms from engine compartment to panel packed with spares for whatever I forgot to wire initially. Also got to start the truck. The first time we did it a few days ago, it was running rough. As we were investigating the oil pressure sending unit location we discovered that a large vacuum hose on back of intake that goes to the brake booster was disconnected. Plugged it in and the engine smoothed right out.
Name:  IMG_8613.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  58.7 KB
Name:  IMG_8614.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  62.4 KB
Name:  IMG_8612.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  56.6 KB

Freshened up the front and back light buckets. Had some serious problems using the Chinese cheap 1157 LED bulbs. After some head scratching, we determined that they back feed power and create all kinds of lighting scenarios that don't make sense. See Youtube for more on that. Ended us using old school 1157's and will order some brand name LED's that have separate lighting circuits.
Name:  IMG_8605.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  60.0 KB

Bought some Dolphin gauges (GPS Speedo) with billet mounting panel. Turns out, the factory gauge bezel won't fit over the gauges so I am sending back. Apparently, the factory QC did not catch that these new (?) gauges would not fit the panel with factory bezel. Seems someone should have dropped a set in and tried them before shipping. The problem is the big chrome ring around each gauge. When I get my money back, I'll reorder the same gauges arranged with the speedo at the bottom and the other gauges along the top of the panel.
Name:  IMG_8584.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  55.9 KB

Ordered a new steering and generic (Honda) hub adapter. Since there apparently are no adapters that fit the spline for this air bag column, I'll cut the middle spline area out of the factory steering wheel and attach the generic adapter hub to it. Time to start reassembling the front clip, installing doors and doing the final fabrication on bed.
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote