View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #197
DieselRat

Re: 87 Chevy Crew Cab 4x4 Converion/Cummins swap

So its been a while,miss being a regular around here! As my last post stated This past summer I ended up buying a 97 Cummins engine with the 180hp pump from a friend who wrecked his truck. Had a shop near me go over the engine, put new rings and bearings as well as a complete regasket of it, in trade for my 'old' engine. Worked out good. So rather than brave the cold and do it in my driveway again, I stuck it in my buddys barn and did the swap there. Finished it about 3 weeks ago and finally have everything dialed in and ready for upgrades now! This was the first engine swap that I dropped in, fired up, bolted the front end back on and drove it away. Went flawless, and everything works, it starts and stops with the key!

Just for those wondering I did the swap because the original engine was an 89 non IC. It ran GREAT, had good power, but was about maxed out and naturally left me wanting more. On top of that it started to use a bit of oil, and coolant and it was time for a teardown anyways. Going with the new engine just opened up the tuning possibilities to get me to the HP goals I wanted to be at a heck of a lot easier than buying a hopped up VE pump and turbo and still being stuck with minimal injector choices.

Anyways, First thing I did was set my timing which was pretty intimidating and had me wanting the VE back, but it turned out dead simple. Set it to 16.5deg.
Next up I put the AFC live in, more because I like toys, so why not.

Waiting on 5x.012 injectors and I have .055 delivery valves to go in, also going with a 3k gsk kit. That should about max out power output of the hx35 and keep me happy until I can upgrade the turbo and exhaust manifold.

Couple pics of the new engine.

Did the mid mount AC brackets on it as well with plans to add AC at some point

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=711157
DieselRat is offline   Reply With Quote