Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #211
8man

Re: Wife's 48

Ok, walking without crutches for the first time in 8 weeks is a lot better than with crutches, but I still have that #$%^$& Robocop BOOT, so hobbling is more what I'm doing. BUT I got to go in the shop to do some light stuff!

First, since I have the 48 back, I've sidelined the 54 and started looking very closely at the 48. It is sitting on an 85 S10 frame with Skymangs cab mounts. So I got to wondering, how close did I get my first set up to right.

I measured from the S10 front bed mount, front side of the hole to the back of the cab, 20 1/4" on one side and 20 5/16" on the drivers side. No, I'm not that good.

Then I checked in the front, form the front toe kick lip (original) to the shock, straight ahead, 25 1/16" on the riders and 25" on the drivers. Darn close.

Then I thought to check the door sills to the frame:
Riders side: 9" at the back and 5 1/4" at the front
Driver side: 9 1/2" at back and 5 1/2" at the front

I'm very surprised it is that close. I'm guessing those types of differences can be overcome easily, because I tried moving the cab around a little, and I'm not up to that yet.

Then I thought about the doors. Since I could mess with them while sitting down, why not.
Drivers front
IMG_0037 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
Drivers back
IMG_0036 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
Riders door (I could get back far enough to get a full picture
IMG_0040 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
I hope those gaps work, because I did as has been suggested here and added a little screw to the hinges to help when removing and replacing the doors.
IMG_0039 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
The "mud" you see on the inside of the door in this picture is a reminder of Hurricane Harvey. My parents house had about 3' of water in it and the barn where the truck was kept had almost 5'.

Anyway, after a thorough review, there is some more welding and grinding to be done before I'm happy, I keep learning and the first welds I did were really POOR, but they are getting better, so I'll start on that when I can weld again, translation, when I can wear work boots, not this Robocop boot I have on now.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote