View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #23
trukman1

Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
Planishing is effectively stretching a weld bead or “dot”. When welding sheet metal you want to just weld in one spot for half a second and skip around. This will produce a weld dot as seen in the above pictures. With any weld you have shrinking as the weld cools, when the cooling happens it pulls the surrounding metal and creates a valley. To planish you use the dolly on method and focus only on the weld dot to stretch the dot out, in doing this you are stretching the dot out and moving the surrounding metal back into it’s previous location. Weld proud is the height of the weld bead above the base metal, in the above pictures the weld bead/dot was above the sheet metal, that portion was ground down flush to the base metal to have the appearance of a seamless piece of metal, after planishing. Hope this helps and didn’t further confuse you.
WOW! Thanks for explaining this to me. Makes perfect sense. It's great to have members to help those of us wanting to learn but not knowing where to get the knowledge. I appreciate it very much. I have lots of welding coming up when my son gets home from his deployment in July and, even though I've done a lot of welding on heavy industrial pipe (stick), I don't know anything about welding thin sheet meta body panels. Many thanks!