Thread: 47-55.1 Electric fan setup?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #36
e015475

Re: Electric fan setup?

MPC - agree with you on fan shrouds that sit right on the radiator - seems like you're leaving some cooling capability on the table that way.

On my T-shirt fan shroud, the face of the fan is about 2" off of the radiator and the clearance all around the sides is at least one inch, so theoretically the big SPAL fan should suck air all across the face of the radiator - probably better in the 200 square inches directly in front of the fan though.

I think you'll find that the flaps on most production fan shrouds are there to let air flow across the radiator at highway speeds. When air pressure from forward speed is greater than what the electric fan can generate, the flaps bypass the fan. I think most production cars with electric fans can turn them off at highway speeds too.

BTW - the radiator in my photo is for a GMC AD truck. GMC engines were longer than the Chevy, so GMC sunk the radiator further into the core support and put a goose-neck filler on it to access the radiator. I believe it is about 1.5" deeper in the shroud than a Chevy.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote