View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #974
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Minor setback. I had to pull the bed. Took about an hour to pull. The Ford bed tie downs backed with a 4"x4" plate worked well on the bed lift.
Name:  IMG_8864.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  56.2 KB

Seems I connected the fuel lines without the $0.50 plastic clips. Started smelling fuel. Lines had worked their way off. Just before the bed pull, I tried to grind off the end of my index finger. Somehow it got between the bench grinder and the tool rest. They stitched what was left and sent me home to grow the rest of the skin back. Still can't figure out how it happened. Also, needed to sort out the lack of fuel level sending unit signal and get the front of the bed welded and painted. Turns out we were reading the wrong two wires. Gauge reading perfectly now.
Name:  58016876634__3EA2852F-89BD-43E2-8FAB-8784DD9CFEF1.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  39.9 KB
Name:  IMG_8860.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  57.5 KB

While we were fooling with all this stuff, I noted a rather large puddle of oil under the truck. Didn't quite get the sending unit tight in the adapter. All put back together so I decided to weld a bit. Had 20 plus holes drilled in the top bed rail. Also, ran it up to the gas station to fill up. On the way home, we noticed front brakes were dragging a bit so I pulled the calipers. Seems they got a little gummed up sitting outside under a tarp for a couple of years. All freed up now so I ran it up to 50 mph which feels like 100 mph without a windshield. Tracks straight, no rattles or vibrations. Windshield is scheduled for late next week. He will also install the best of the two back windows I have in stock.

Name:  IMG_5387.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  54.9 KB
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote