View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 06:28 AM   #21
Dave64

Re: NP435 Repair Manual

WorkingLonghorn,
Just reading your earlier post, you say you have nearly fifty years out of your NP435GA and you also add that a couple of synchros are starting to go. If I got a fifty year run out of one I'd be more than happy.
As I said earlier, I have about half a dozen (just the straight NP435 with 6.68:1 first) here and picked the eyes out of all of them to come up with two decent boxes and got away with re-racing them and putting new gaskets and shims in.

Have you ever tried to get parts for your NP435GA??
I am not familiar with that Chev variation, so don't know if the case external sizes are the same as the common old New process type. I also have the NP4350 (or NP445) which although having many common components (bearings, seals, gaskets etc), is about one and a half inches longer in the case and internal, so not interchangeable.

I have been hunting around for an input shaft for some time now, to suit the same box as you have, but seem to be scarce.

Also seems to be some dissension as to the actual tooth count of the input shaft to cluster gear.
According to Hemmings they were a TWENTY ONE tooth input shaft, whereas I came up with a 22/38 combo on the cluster.

Standard 6.68:1 first gear in all the ones I have here are 17/43 input to cluster count.
Would either you or someone else following this post be able to confirm this?

Funny thing is, over here in all our literature by any of the manufacturers, the 4.56:1 ratio first gear version was OPTIONAL, but as yet I have been unable to find anyone on our forums here who has ever actually had the close ratio version.

Have tried quite a lot of people over your way looking for a Chev NP435GA input shaft, so far unsuccessfully.

One other thing was I have been told by quite a few others that the Chevy input shaft housing ran a different type of roller race and seal to the other types of 435's. I downloaded a workshop manual online and it is telling me that the larger inch and a half diameter input did indeed run a roller race, yet the smaller inch and an eighth was actually a tapered roller bearing.

So, somewhere, somehow wires got crossed.
Still doesn't help me to find the correct input shaft.
Cheers, Dave64
Dave64 is offline   Reply With Quote