Thread: What do I need?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
cj847

Re: What do I need?

It all depends on what you can do yourself, what kind of shopper you are, and what other changes you want to do.

I am putting an LS in my Willys wagon and doing almost everything myself (fuel pump, wire harness, mounts, etc.) It is going to be about $4000-4500. That does not include the new driveshaft and some stuff that cebra listed.

For example, I bought a pair of 2010 Camero exhaust manifolds for $100 vs aftermarket $300 or headers $300-600.

Buy your engine complete with all accessories and wire harness. I gave $1100 for an engine and trans with 129,000 on the clock. It was missing a drive pulley for the PS but I had one at home. All those accessories will nickel and dime you to the poorhouse.

Yes, you can spend thousands on aftermarket intakes etc, etc. If you do the research you will find that (according to the dyno) the best intake is the Trailblazer SS stock intake, second is the plain old truck intake (better than the much better looking early ls camero intakes). Do you want performance or looks?

Basically you have 4 separate projects:
1) Buy a motor and or transmission.
2) Provide a fuel system for it.
3) Provide gaging to monitor new engine.
4) Provide drivetrain connections for swap.
5) Might need to do something with your cooling system.

You can buy and engine, a cheap fuel pump, hook it to your turbo 350, and run gages on your I phone for probably $3000. But in my mind that is not much of a daily driver.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote