View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #5
mcampbell

Re: Anyone swap newer front/rear axle/brakes into 1970 C10?

My heart's "in service life" shortened up while I drove 70 drum brakes for a few years. When a light changed red in front of me there was panic until I learned if I stiffen my whole body and brace for impact with the car ahead it stops just before their bumper.

On my 70 I found a 72 suspension on Craigslist and used A arms, spindles and all. The only way to tell it's not stock is the brake hard line is not routed same as 72. Early Classics told me what fittings to buy and adapt 72 discs to 70 hard lines. While switching brakes it got a full rebuild and added a sway bar. Rides great, turns nice, and stops without panic.

I rebuilt a 72 2wd Blazer and when torn apart the A-arms wouldn't go full travel. Early Classic's front end rebuild kit cost more than anyone else's but it came with the dog bones that I couldn't find with other kits. I drove the Blazer for years after rebuild and worried at first the 4/6 drop might be too low for Utah roads but the ride was outstanding.

There's a mid 80's rear end in the garage waiting. I cut off the leaf spring perches, got it rebuilt with posi, put on a disc kit (likely mistake), and bought (Early Classic commercial here) trailing arm perches to weld on once I decide on drop and can set pinion angle. All because I couldn't find a 5 lug trailing arm rearend in local junkyards.
mcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote