View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #11
1project2many

Re: Does anybody use small block chevy's anymore?

Lack of factory EFI choices is a big driver behind smallblocks disappearing. I grabbed Vortec heads for my Chevelle back in '97, long before they became the next hottest craze. Mildly modified Vortec heads are good for 400 hp. But it took a *lot* of searching to find an OEM style EFI system to bolt on top that wasn't limited to 340ish hp and didn't cost an arm and leg. Most folks who choose sbc for a project today either use TBI and stick to the roughly 300 hp limit or they go carb which is kind of expensive and sometimes feels like a walk into the past. The LS package is easy to get 350-450 hp out of without ditching factory components. And the aftermarket is pregnant with LS goodies so why not?

All of my V8 vehicles have SBC's. I have a '99 Suburban waiting for a 302 SBC that I removed from my last Suburban. I have the '57 which also has a 302 which I built in '93. And I have parts here for a fun SBC to install in the Chevelle when I start working on it. I have a new Vortec 5.7 engine which had about 15k miles when removed. I have Honda rods and matching pistons from a dirt track engine. I have a set of 2.02/1.60 valves. I have a full set of 1.6 roller rockers. I have a copy of an older Lingenfelter roller cam which was in an engine dynoed at 465 hp. And I have three EFI systems from marine applications which promise to do a great job on top. The only thing I'm looking for is a smokin deal on parts for a 396 SBC so the SS badges on the side of the fender will have the correct displacement.

So what's this LS you speak of?

Last edited by 1project2many; 07-17-2019 at 10:17 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote