View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #41
nelson-ohio

Re: 72 C10 brake problem, need help please

Ok, finally this is done. Being away for a while, so this took a lot longer than it should.

After replacing most of the components, the braking didn't really improve, took it to a local shop that specializes in brake systems. They put on a dual diaphragm booster and everything is OK. The first one they installed to test the setup was 1 they had on the shelf for many years, it failed after about a week, just as I was driving the truck back to the shop so they can put on one that's new and get the paddle set right. In the end, they installed a 9-1/2" rebuilt dual unit, and it feels just about right. It's not a chromed unit, unlike most of the parts in the engine bay, but I'm going to leave it like that for a while, I'm done messing with this part for now.

I also installed a vacuum pump kit, with the engine vacuum as a supplement. Just in case the pump fails for some reason. Been driving it for about 3 weeks now, everything seems to be running well. However, the engine wouldn't crank after I drove for a while and tried to start again within 5 minutes, had to wait about 20 minutes then it was cranking OK. Maybe the starter motor? It's always something right.
nelson-ohio is offline   Reply With Quote