View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 06:32 AM   #7
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Brake booster braces

Might be a little late but thought maybe this could help somebody else out.

I drilled the mounting holes for the lower brace mount points and put a nut on the back side of the mount bolts since they are just threading into sheet metal and didn't seem strong enough without doing that. I put the braces in as close to where they were on the donor rig as I could.

Where they needed to go directly below the booster is tight real estate so I picked a point that the fastener with captive washer would clear the firewall reinforcement.

The one below the fuse box I used a fastener with the largest captive washer I could so it would flex the firewall the least under whatever load it ever sees.

For both I threaded them in from the interior side so the threads were sticking out on the engine compartment side. This made installing the braces a piece of cake since the fasteners don't fall out of the mount holes on their own. A 1/4" hole will allow a pointed nose 5/16" self-tapping screw to thread in if you don't have a 5/16-18 tap handy.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote