View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #1096
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
For the codes
The mass airflow sensor weighs the air going in and that along with a few other inputs tells the computer how much fuel to give. Sometimes it can be where the mas is positioned in the stream due to turbulent air flow or it could be a vacuum leak after the mas. Start with cleaning the mas and the electrical plug for the mas. Then look down stream for a vac leak. Also, if you have an oiled air filter, be careful how much oil gets applied because it costs the mas right away. Especially when it is so close. A longer air intake pipe may help get laminar air flow past the mas.
MAS is new. Replaced it the other day because I could not remember if I had replaced the initial one that came with the engine. Filter not oiled. Did a water test to see if we could find a vacuum leak. No luck. Pressurized the intake manifold to see if hear a leak. No luck. Put two different vacuum gauges on the system and they conflict with what the OBD reader is reading which may indicate a bad MAP sensor. Gauges reading 15 - 16 in. hg and the OBD reading 10. I've been concerned about the laminar flow issue as well. With the throttle body facing directly into the wind with this somewhat open filter, not sure how it could get any more laminar. Easy and cheap initial fix will be a MAP sensor. Stay tuned.
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote