Old 10-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #316
lowdownstar
big guy

Re: 55-57 one piece windows

thanks for all the great tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
I got some questions in a PM, so I'm posting answers here:

Q1: Were you able to 'curve' these up to match the profile of the door?

Q2: Also, (your opinion) do you think that a plastic push pin or something would work to secure them to the doors?

Q3: Is the metal bead on these chrome or stainless?

A1: (See picture) Yes, I curved them by cutting them a little long, then I grabbed the unneeded tip with a good pair of needle-nosed vice grips. I then clamped a small rubber mallet in a vice and bent (pushed) them over the head of the hammer, a little at a time. Repeat about 100 times. Then I cut off the part that I had crunched with the vise grip, then round it using the grinding wheel. You have to clip most of the felt part off of the part you want to curve because it's backed up with stainless. Leave the "bump" right below the exposed stainless that's about 1/8" wide. I cut the felt using a Harbor Fright air saw, then straightened the cut using the grinding wheel.

A2: The push pin would have to be very small, and would have to grip very tightly to keep the felts from moving around. The ones I've used tend to jiggle around. I don't think it would work well, but I've been wrong before.The factory used a very small flat head sheet metal screw. The glass won't hit it if you draw it all the way in, and with the strips I chose, the felt wraps around and covers the screw head.

A3: The metal bead is stainless, and you can polish it.
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote