View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #690
LEEVON

Re: Project "Popeye"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffcub View Post
As the creator / owner of White Wolf I am happy to hear you like the product! Truck looks sharp!
Thanks a bunch! I am the guy who ordered two and later discovered that I was trying to install an early style in my late cab (long story). But my buddy Mike Burchett and I love the headliners! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach529 View Post
So tell me more about this Fittech problem.
Hi Mike, it currently won't fire the injectors after it suddenly died on a drive. I have proper cranking voltage, fuel pressure, etc. I think I have a fried ECU. Without being able to test the proprietary ECU it's really just a guess. I am going to follow-along with Fitech on a troubleshooting mission mainly because I want the unit properly working for re-sale.

Initiallly I wanted the Fitech for fuel economy, drive-ability and the looks of my carb style engine. But its just not trouble free by any stretch. I only get 9-10 mpg in a truck that has computer controlled ignition, is perfectly geared and cruises at 2100rpm at 70mph. I can never start the engine easily. I have been through three expensive fuel pumps following ALL recommendations. High pressure external fuel pumps are trouble, period IMO. I spent many hours trying to tune for cold and hot start conditions, both in cold and hot weather...end result is I can have one but not the others. I spent many hours tuning for "tip-in", "decel" and "accel" function to find a fairly happy medium but still not nearly as smooth as factory fuel injection or carburetors. If you leave the handheld unit plugged in it has enough draw to drain a new battery in about two weeks. The plugs on the handheld are flimsy and straight and awkward. My truck wiring is top notch and I still have concerns with the unit about cranking voltage, grounding etc. It's just too much worry for something that is supposed to remove worry. It has taken the fun out of this truck. Some folks have zero issues, others don't mind the endless tweaking and tuning. I just don't want to mess with it anymore. I could install a stock 5.3 intake, PCM and wiring and be light years ahead.

Right now I am in the middle of swapping back to a carb with a simplified fuel system and electric choke, will post my progress soon!