View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
RyanAK

Re: Chasing Vibrations - ‘78 K10 Suburban

Thanks, fellas.

Tires are definitely in the near-term. Like, I’m ready to do it now. I don’t really trust them considering their age. I started a separate thread for tires since the 15x6 stock rims really limit my tire choice. So if probably consider new rims as well. Shame, since I really like the OEM steelies and hubcaps. Open to suggestions. I’d prefer a taller tire to fill the wheel wells and lower the RPMs on the highway. 3.73 gears ya know.

This rig has a GM Crate 350 the PO had installed, and I believe the mounts are new. I’ll have to recheck, but I don’t remember being concerned when I went over the truck when I first got it. When it was having the cab mounts and tailgate support replaced last month I had the guy do the ‘easy’ body mount rubber. I haven’t checked transmission or transfer case mounts though. That’s a good suggestion.

I go back and forth on the NP203. Keep it stock, convert it to part-time, or swap it out. Haven’t really decided what to do yet. I’m ok with leaving it full-time if it’s ok being spun up to 70 on the highways. It’s been doing fine for local driving. The double cardan joint on the front drive shaft is a suspect in my vibration hunt, even though it seems fine...

I’d like to have the drive shafts balanced, but there isn’t a shop in the area to do it.

What else? I have a very long list of possibilities, ranging from tires, driveshafts and rearends to stuff like weather seals and missing carpet pad in the cargo area. Trying to be logical in my approach to keep from throwing time and money away. I have the flow chart that Kieth Seymour posted and I’m trying to work my way through it.

Thanks again. Ain’t this place great?

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote