View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #880
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
Ken,
I have a few question or so for you.. could be related to "Jake", but I notice in your thread for "Scarlett" that you had cleaned & wrapped the misc. wiring harnesses. my question is did you basically completely unwrap each section & then clean & re-wrap them? Also did you clean off the coating that is on them at the bulkhead connections? if so would you maybe share a helpful hint or technique?
THANK YOU for your time...

Rodstored-72 "Jake"
Jake I am an electronic technician by trade. I dont have a formal education so all of my experience comes from "Hands on" training. Combine that with my being OCD and I just cant feel comfortable till I have had my hands on every inch of something I'm building. I'm teaching my nephew what my mentors taught me. I was taught that you cant be sure soming is good till you have actually touched and tested it.

We take every section of wiring that can be removed and lay it on the shop floor. We remove all factory loom and tape. We inspect every factory connection and test for continuity. If there are any splices we re-solder and protect with marine grade shrink tube.

Once we are satisfied with the integrity we focus on routing and aesthetics. We lay out the harness to determine if we can reduce or extend length to hide as much as possible. All of the wires are thoroughly cleaned using Walmart brand brake cleaner. Its cheap and leaves no oily residue.

When we are satisfied with the flow and function we add wraps of tape every 10-12 inches to keep things tidy inside the loom. I use braided mesh loom to cover the harness.

We cut the ends and singe them to prevent unraveling. The loom is slid back an inch and 3M electrical tape is applied to the harness, then wrapped around the loom. We use a lighter to lightly heat and seal the tape.

We use the same process at the bulkhead. We unplug the harness and use a wire brush and brake cleaner to remove all of the factory gunk. Its usually at that point that we clean all of the gunk off of the firewall as well. The firewall is prepped and painted before the components are reinstalled.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 10-25-2019 at 11:24 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote