View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #890
SCOTI

Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A
Ken, I am always glad to see the updates even if they are more the occasional based on your involvement in other media. I feel like the Forum is still the best place for shared information, but the ability to display projects and progress is probably better in the other outlets being distributed to a wider audience. Anyway, you had mentioned that research had led you to the Edelbrock Performer 2.0 intake manifold. So far, what I have dug up has been somewhat muddled. I am interested in torque enhancing upgrades for my engine and wondered if you could point me toward the information you found. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
It depends on your application. I was looking for gains one a motor that has horrible heads and low compression. It didnt make sense to run a big single plan intake because the heads would kill any gains. The Performer 2.0 is a dual plane intake with medium rise runners. Its focus is to improve low RPM torque so its designed to operate in a range that this motor will be running in most of the time.
Search Performer 2.0 and you will find several articles.
I know Ken made the choices that he wanted based on his particular situation. That being said, all a 'Smog-Dog' motor needs to wake it up is a better cam & compression.
The heads flow just fine below 4k & =/< .600" lift where most street engines will be operating.

Peanut Port BBC heads:
Lift/Int. flow/Ex. flow
0.200 125 87
0.300 183 111
0.400 215 130
0.500 233 144
0.600 235 150

6.0LS #317 heads:
Lift/Int. flow/Ex. flow
0.200 144.1 103.8
0.300 200.2 142.5
0.400 234.6 167.9
0.500 241.7 183.1
0.600 243.3 193.7

The flow numbers show the PP/smog heads are not that far off from what 'new' technology produces on the intake side. Airflow through the heads is what makes power so the PP/smog heads can yield similar power numbers to those super/great/awesome/advanced-tech/late-model aluminum LS heads that flow better (+ have the benefit of more compression & cam). My limited fueling technology TBI 454 will still light up all 4 rear tires from a stand still using those factory 'horrible' heads. My 454 does have flat tops to improve compression + an RV/towing cam. I could have made even more power w/a different cam but chose something very mild in hopes it would work w/the TBI which I was stuck with @ the time.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote