Thread: My 1st 68 panel
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #197
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: My 1st 68 panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
If I was to guess I would say it was done in the 1980's when there were no sheet metal parts available and body men still knew some thing more than how to bolt a new part on.
It definitely went through the low buck repair shop. A skilled bondo man could have done that rocker in a day and had it ready for blocking. I had a 68 Beatle that was bondoed up like that. Maybe it's a 68 thing.
I hope you had an idea the panel was like this when you purchased it.

Keep up the good work. It looks like you have a nice shop work in. I know that makes it easier for me to keep making progress. Especially in the off season.
Don't get me wrong, I have used my fair share of Bondo in my day, but never would I have considered doing something like that. I did know it had bad lower issues when I bought it and I actually have good OEM panels to replace it with if I need them to go that high. I just figured I would pull the goop out and see how bad it really was. I figure since most of the lower panel area is available now I might be able to just use them instead of my oem skins. The only panel I will need to fabricate will be the inner lower on the passenger side rear. it is rotten and is different on the panel vs the suburban since the panel does not have the spare tire well. If I do end up using the suburban skin I might just put the spare pocket in. Long way off from that though. lol. I think I posted pictures of the skins earlier but if not here they are again.

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote