View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 12:15 AM   #200
Cautrell05

Re: It's my turn, 47 S10 build

The steering shaft is a bit of a Frankenstein job. The main part of it is actually from a 2007 Mercedes SUV. One of the younger kids at work stripped out the pinch bolt so they put a new one on. There's nothing really special about it other than it was a free, low milage slip shaft. The lower half fit the smaller double D shaft with a little grinding. The other half was nowhere close to fitting the gm column as expected. Originally I was just going to cut the end off weld the other one on but then I started looking at the actual steering U-joints. The more I looked at them the more they looked pretty close in size. Half hour at the vice and I had the Mercedes and GM joints out. Both measure exactly 15mmx37mm. Reused the Mercedes joint because it was newer and it pressed in to the GM yoke just like it was made for it. I would have never guessed that would work. In the future if I ever need to replace the steering shaft I'll just buy two joints and a double D slip shaft but for now I have a total of 0 dollars in the upper shaft. Can't complain there.
Attached Images

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote