Thread: 47-55.1 *Steering Wheel Centering*
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #33
Zippi

Re: *Steering Wheel Centering*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
there is no adjustment on gm boxes except a very small adjustment for wear. it is a set screw on the top of the box.

it looks like the knuckle is about to fall apart and based on misalignment it looks like the lower bearing in your column has failed. the lower bearing is easy to replace but requires the shaft to be taken off.

it could be that the bearing failed because the linkage is exceeding the knuckles ability to correct the angle, that is a stock GM knuckle and they are only capable of about 15 degrees misalignment. you should replace the setup with borgeson u joints, which can take up to 35 degrees. in that case you would replace the setup with a u joint (knuckle) that attaches to the column, a shaft that goes to the box, and a u joint at the steering box. doing this will help with misalignment too, with a rag joint at the box ALL the misalignment has to be fixed at the knuckle.

there are cheaper u joints than borgeson but being cheap on steering (or brakes) is a stupid way to die.

edit, here is a picture of my s10 setup. I used a borgeson collapsible shaft instead of just regular D rod, and I used a 98+ column so my upper u joint is actually inside the cab. still the same setup though, replaced the GM knuckle and rag joint.

joedoh,

I like your setup. How do I connect it to Pic #2 above?
Zippi is offline   Reply With Quote