View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #16
jeffahart

Re: Dana 60 front axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Thank for all the tips. That article was 2012. When I was dreaming about building my truck back then I think the same axle was around 3K.
Present day- even with the salvage 60 prices gone up I still think I can save quite a bit. Going with the Boyce axle and upgrading the axle shafts think it still will be quite a savings. I don't really need the high pinion. Dynatrac axles start at 5k for a front 60. That is for their Jeep preconfigured units. Custom configuration, better axle shafts and the prices escalate quickly. At a local off road shop here the guy showed me a Jeep that had Dynatrac 60's front and rear, 18k+ in axles.
I honestly appreciate any input given. Have been out of this for some time. Have not driven my 72 in over 10 years. Am really excited to get going on my 72 transformation.
Article is old but the principle still applies. If you think you can build an axle like the dynatrac and save money by building yourself, the savings is negligible. But that's an apples to apples build comparison, and who want's that when you have choices galore and a fair budget.

Here's why I did the 60. I was looking to replace my D44 open knuckle drum axle. I spent time trying to find a decent D44 disc. It started taking too much time. I even spent time to look at a few axles that were not what was described/advertised. I was glad I found boyce, I feel like the price, above what another axle and rebuild and time, was more than fair. The 60 drop in was the easy button for a few bucks more.

One other thing. I did end up buying a new front shaft. It turned out to be too long. Not sure if that was the case when the 44 was up front. But I didn't discover until I pulled the trans and transfer for rebuild. So measure before you pull the 44. I assumed drop in, someone could have swapped my front shaft. But I assumed it stock, I'm still not sure.

The price from Boyce is not bad and I like how they treated me.

Have fun... Merry Christmas!

j