View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 04:49 AM   #12
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Stock Front Shackle- and Spring Eye Bushings

Well, we ''got 'er done'' yesterday. No pix. Too busy. The drivers side spring eye bushing was easy -- it was about gone anyway. Passenger side was a little harder.
The lower shackle bushings were next. My friend got the drivers side one out without too much trouble. I had a harder time with the passenger side. As I drove off the steel tube with another steel tube, it got all jammed up, and we had to set up the compresser and blast it out with an air hammer.
The upper shackle bushings were left alone. Pulling them out would have required removing the headers. I thought about sawing off the bolt heads and replacing them with the nut and washer on the inboard side. But my friend said No, I wouldn't be able to see if the nut was loose if it was hidden. Since they weren't broken, I didn't fix them.
The Dorman parts from Rock Auto fit fine, except the inside tube ends of the front spring eye bushings required a few 16ths shaved off with a grinder wheel to fit the mounts.
Jimmy rides a lot better now. No ''klunk'' on turns. Still need to R&R the P/S gearbox. It got pretty thrashed in the old set up. Could pop any time.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 01-21-2020 at 04:55 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote