View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

The standard fix in the 70's when using drum brake wheels on disk brake rigs was a wheel spacer and maybe a bit of grinding on the corners of the caliper where the wheel hit. That was standard then when a guy bought an early 70's car with disk brakes and wanted to keep his drum brake custom wheels that were on his late 60's ride.

I did that on my 48 with the Camaro subframe and 72 Monte Carlo front disks in 1981. The 14x7 Crager Mach 8 wheels I had on the front were drum brake wheels.

That still doesn't mean that your stock wheels won't clear simply because you may not have the back spacing that causes the problem and it is a try one and see how it goes thing before getting too excited about it. Then if it hits put some washers on the studs to space it out a bit and keep putting a layer on until it clears and then buy spacers that are the thickness of the stack of washers. 1/4 or 3/8 is usually enough but the less you can get by with the better.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote