Thread: Ls swap opinion
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #20
truckster

Re: Ls swap opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotXC View Post
I wanted to be able to keep up with traffic on the highway instead of screaming at 3500 rpm doing 60mph. Along with that came the other niceties of a more modern engine. Easy start up, no gas smell, reliability, durability, performance. Mine is night and day from the SBC 350 that was supposedly 300hp. I have a stock LQ4 and 4L80E and it will light up the tires when it shifts to 2nd gear if you're into the throttle. It also drives like a newer truck around town. I don't drive it much, but it's awesome to just jump in and go when I do. All that said, it was WAY more work than I was anticipating and would have done some things different if I did it again and had more time to dedicate to it. I also feel much more comfortable driving it on any trip if I was going to... Just finished it a few weeks ago, so still working out some kinks, but when it's done and I don't have to think about it, it will be great to have the classic look with modern performance and reliability.
The RPM at any given speed is a function of gears (transmission and rear) and not of the engine.

A properly adjusted carb will be just as efficient as fuel injection. The advantage of fuel injection is that it makes the adjustments for you. I'm adding cats to mine to keep the exhaust clean. And as far as driving it anywhere, I went across the country with my Blazer long before I decided to replace the engine.

I get it, everyone wants what's new, but the advantages have to outweigh the costs for me, and I haven't seen that. Bottom line - do what makes you happy; it's your truck.