View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #333
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: 1971 Stepside LS Build

Quote:
From my understanding(could be wrong here) the transducer is pressure based. So it constantly monitors the A/C pressure and based on that(signaling to PCM) it controls the idle and fans. Then the binary switch is strictly used for the compressor shut-off at high pressure threshold.

It works in conjunction with the PCM's other fan controls. Basically allowing the PCM to control fans based on coolant temp AND A/C pressure.

Yeah man, it's nerve racking I never found this during all the research we were doing on this. Months of researching, and several days worth of wiring truck and building diagrams.
This is correct. I know BP Automotive has some information on this in their FAQ section under AC. I called and discussed this with VA and they said just use the Trinary switch, but it didn't control idle. I called BP Automotive because my harness had the fitting for the GM transducer. Once they explained it to me it seemed like a much better way to run the AC. The #8 fitting with the transducer was like $70.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote