View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #322
Scott2

Re: Scott's '51 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocww View Post
Looks great. Is your motor stock? If so my 4l60e cant be that easy to spin compared to the 4l80. My converter is a bit loose, but stall is way under 1400 no idea what it is but it doesnt flash high. And if I want to burn out even at 20 or 25 mph i just roll on it. Mine were 89s as well installed by tci
Motor is a stock LQ4 - only change is to add the Hooker cast headers and whatever the tune does. Stock is ~330 hp, with the mods, maybe 340-350? However - and this is a giant however - I am at 6500' here in the Rockies and really didn't give this proper credit before.

HP Loss = (elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000

That's worth a whopping 68.25 HP! So I have an ~270-280 hp turd running behind a 4L80e with a solid chassis with 4 link that plants hard! WAIT! -- I think I just made a damn good argument for the wife to let me change the converter - maybe even add a cam? Hah! Maybe I'll post her email and you can all send encouraging notes for the changes. Post virus of course....

Side note here regarding the hp loss - I previously had a '69 Camaro with a built 408 - AFR 210 heads, healthy roller cam, Victor Jr intake, etc - desktop dyno said 525 hp which meant ~425 at my altitude. Up here it was pretty healthy. Sold it to a guy in Iowa at near sea level who complained that he couldn't stop the tires from spinning all over.

Moral of the story is I need a looser converter and more hp - or I have to move to Iowa...