View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #4333
Kevin Mac

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I still have been working on the 2004R swap (from a 350 turbo). I got it all in and running, the first test drive was not very good, had a vibration, it shifted in and out in and out when going to 2nd. Made a few phone calls and reserch on the web to find that I needed to tighten the TV cable. I had the correct bracket to relocate the cable but it sure didn't like it there.

I then made a carb mount with 3 holes to try and see which shifted the best. Next test was much better but the vibration had me scarred because I put Tracloc in the 9", which was another first for me setting up gears.

Dropped the driveshaft and took it to driveshaft shop and had new u joints and balanced, made another adjustment to TV cable and the next run was fun, no vibration and shifting was really getting there. Before I go any further, I bought the tranny on Market Place, but I trust the guy (he had a nice AD) and he held it for a couple months while we tried to figure out how to get to me without shipping. It was a rebuilt unit with a stage 1 build, not by any big name company, but never the less he was a transmission builder. He bought it for a Task Force that he never finished or installed.

Each time I changed the geomentry of the bracket I took carb to WOT and pulled TV tight. As I understand it, that makes the starting point of the TV cable putting more pressure on the clutches, at one test run it didn't shift until rpm was too high, so that was too far. I did talk to the builder and that is what he told me to do. move the cable end closer to the pivot.

Not real comfy with that method I put a pressure gauge on it and I think my pressures are a little low, but I'm not sure what all has been changed in transmission either. Forgot to mention that it did sit for couple years inside the guys shop, which agian I believe him as I have asked him a few questions and he is always willing to help.

I intalled a TCI lock up kit with the vacuum switch, manual on off switch and a 12 volt switch to kill it all if needed. The vac switch was kinda erratic so I did adjust that as well. Next up is installing a 12 volt time delay set at 8 sec so when the vac switch makes, it will delay 8 seconds before it locks up the convertor, in hopes that it will calm down the in and out of the lockup.
whew that was a lot of typing for hands of kinda guy.
Mac
48 chevy, 78 gbody clip, ford 9 inch 3:56 gears, 383 stroker, 4 link, hydroboost and AC!

Last edited by Kevin Mac; 03-25-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote