View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #23
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: HD carrier bearing. The odd one.

Update!

I received my new puller and got the old bearing off. That was a bit of work! I'm fairly certain that bearing has been on there since 1967.

So I cleaned everything up and pressed on the new bearing and then mocked up the two carrier halves with the original rubber cushion. It was really loose. Although the cushion was in good shape I think it just shrunk. The second pic shows the original cushion.

The last two pics shows the old bearing and new bearing next to each other. The bearings are identical and are SKF part number BR88107. The only difference is what SKF calls the "Slingers". That would be the metal rings that are pressed onto the bearing outer race. The original slingers are perfectly round and the newer slingers have a protrusion that grabs a slot molded into the rubber cushion that it sits in.

I damaged one of the slingers when I pressed off the bearing as you can see in the last picture. I don't know how you could press that off and not destroy it unless you made a custom tool.
Attached Images

Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote