Thread: Sold American!
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #174
special-K
Special Order

Re: Sold American!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
yeah I prefer American made..i bought a holley intake...it had china on it...really?..i ground the china off of it...
Yep! my machinist says he has to plane more American branded China made manifolds than some no name el cheapos he like better, also made in China
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
I used some credit to order safety green stocking cap for roadside walks with my daughter. Pleasantly surprised this Carhartt example I received was Canadian made.
My old Carhartts were made in Irvine, KY. I've never bought Red Wings not made in USA. Levis are my biggest disappointment. Not even 501s!!!! I think for $80 a pair they could be made in USA! They sure aren't the heavy denim they once were anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I have 3 Harley's. Sure parts are made in other countries but the tour in York you see most of the sheetmetal made in house along with the frame ,engines forged in Milwaukee. AMF WAS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO HARLEY.
That can be debated. Agreed their reputation on quality went down, but even the new Harley company gave credit to AMF for keeping the company afloat as well as making some positive design advancements. Also for creating the FX line which started a whole new market that was right for America. I've had '74 and '78 Super-Glides and they both were good to me. A favorite bike of mine was a '72 Electro-Glide. The old schoolers didn't like that the company got bought by a golf cart & bowling ball company from the get-go. I think it was mostly just a popular biker attitude to trash AMF more than anything. I know people are paying big money for that era now. Classics made for the hiways of today
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I was pressed for time when I was doing the rear on my 68 so I got the bearings from Autozone and these were in the box
I always bought my bearings at the dealership. In the '80s I bought my first 100% GM made in Japan wheel bearing for a '71. I started buying Timken and have ever since. If I'm not mistaken they are all made here

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-22-2020 at 07:11 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote