View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #33
joedoh

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
From what I’m reading, the S10’s 2WD axle is too narrow for the body, so either the axle needs to be swapped to a 4WD axle for a wider WMS, or the bed needs to be modified to fit the wheels further inboard. That leaves you with a narrow front end, which the solutions are custom A-arms, extreme offset wheels, or very wide spacers. I’d rather start out with a frame that puts the wheels out where they need to be with no changes.

Trimming inner fenders is fine (and I would imagine less is needed due to the rack and pinion vs the S10’s steering box), but I’m seeing builds completely redesign core supports, radiator housings, floor pans, and firewalls. I tend to prefer keeping the body and interior as stock as possible, although I do want to convert to hanging pedals. There will obviously be similar hurdles to overcome with either swap like you said, the more I look at these, the more I feel like I would be starting out further ahead with the Exploder chassis.

I went way down the rabbit hole with research last night, now I’m interested in doing a Vortec 4200 in it as well! I just can’t be normal!

I have done 5 ADs (6 if you count nics) and 3 other s10 swaps. the only one I changed the track width on with an axle swap and control arms was the 65 because it was way different, 6 inches per side. I have used spacers on a couple ADs, on others just higher offset wheels. have never needed extensive modification to the inners or the core support, although all needed a new core support mount. I have never touched a floor pan, or firewall (other than for the brake booster and to piece in the HVAC, but again, all upgrades will need the same), for a cab swap, and where I mount the body I have never needed more than a very small trans tunnel.

I am not disagreeing with your choice for the explorer frame, or a stock frame, or whatever frame. I would love to see how the explorer works out actually, a guy did an aviator chassis with an ad a couple years ago, his project is in the project section. just clearing up the common misconceptions. the amount of work changes with how high or low you mount the cab off the frame, the sweet spot is around 4.5", enough to get a good size radiator in.

this winter I will do a 56 chevy big window and I have decided to use a colorado frame on it, track width, inline engine, AWD. they only made two wheelbases for the colorado though so either will need the length changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
Comfortable, fun to drive, and classic looks? Sounds like perfection to me. Unfortunately, that’s not realistic or affordable for most people.
most of my trucks SELL between 13-18k. new suspension, HVAC, cruise control, new interior, new wheels and tires, EFI, auto/overdrive. I know guys IN THIS THREAD that have more than that in just the parts for their MII trucks, not counting their labor.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 06-13-2020 at 03:50 PM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote