View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #42
MARTINSR

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
I don't want to come off as an ass, but I've already stated multiple times that this is not the route I want to take, so you're wasting your breath here. I'm glad you are happy with leaving everything alone under your cars, but I've not only thought about it, but experienced it. Aside from upgrading for comfort or for fun, I do not want 1940's components under a truck that I plan on driving at highway speeds. The technology worked for it's time, but it's 70+ years later. Speed limits are higher, roads are more populated, and new cars can stop at probably 1/4 of the distance of what this truck ever could. Modern cars can stop, start, turn, and maneuver much, much quicker than anything from this era. I'm not putting mine, a passengers', or another drivers' life at risk because I chose to build and operate a vehicle that is not equipped for modern conditions. So yes, in my eyes those things are a must do.

Also, there is no way that a Mid 60's GM Intermediate on slicks has handling anywhere near like a Porsche. I think your perception of handling and braking characteristics between classic and modern vehicles is completely skewed.
Honestly, you don't get it. But again, PLEASE I am not saying not to do it, I am not ONLY talking to you, others will read this thread too deciding on what to do. Please, don't take this as a battle, we are discussing this. Here with squiggly lines instead of face to face talking sometimes the MEANING is lost.

On the "modern highway" thing, I have for years studied stuff on my own. I am the kinda guy who goes "Hmmmmmm" and wants a real answer, not just an opinion or seeing what I want to see, you know what I mean? I have done many tests on painting, applying stuff wrong to see how far you can go before it fails, I have done welding tests, I just like going "hmmmmmm" and seeing where it goes. One day a number of years ago I got into "Hypermiling" where you drive for fuel economy. I was driving someone somewhere and they were freaking out about how much room I was leaving and how much room between me and the car in front of me telling me I was driving "too slow" that sort of thing. The next day I started a little study on the subject. I did a study driving the exact same way to work every day and back home. Starting a stop watch from when I turned the key on to when I turned it off, that simple. I didn't do this test for a day, I spent a month to get a REAL number of how long it took me to get to work or back home. I drove like I was before I started hypermiling, over the speed limit, pushing stop lights, changing lanes over and over, you know the stuff. I then spent a month hypermiling, driving under the speed limit, leaving a ton of room so you can coast more and stuff like that. You know what the difference was.....20 seconds. That was the average lost hypermiling, 20 seconds. And you know what that 20 seconds cost me, 20% in fuel economy!

I then drove my Rambler every single day for over 7 years. One and a quarter inch wide drum brakes with a single reservoir master cyl (oh the horrors) flathead motor, the whole thing, drove it every single day, had one VERY close call and I was blown away how fast I was able to stop, holy crap! Ever since that test I did, I leave a LOT more room, just cruise along enjoying the day.

Of course my Gran Sport with the slicks on it was for the drags so no, it didn't handle well. But it sure handled well with the street tires. "As good" as Porsche, no, I am exaggerating some, but I could take a freeway exit roundabout at over 55 MPH all the way round the whole thing! Yep, I have a buddy who has been a serious autocrosser 40 years and he was blown away at how good it handled, had big sway bars, urethane bushings, gas shocks, oh yeah, it handled.

The thing you have to remember is you are driving YOUR car on the road not all the others so it doesn't matter one bit what they do, you drive your car. I mean, a semi is out there on the road with you and they don't handle and stop like a new Camaro do they?

As I said, we are in my garage drinking a beer chatting, my radical chopped and sectioned truck is sitting there, I am into modifying stuff, I dig it, I am not screaming to leave every truck stock. I am just tossing out there for everyone to think about it.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote