Thread: 55 truck build
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
jasonpotts

Re: 55 truck build

I spent months getting mad and walking away from the brakes. I was bound and determined to keep the ABS functioning from the caprice donor car.

The caprice uses a Bosch 2U ABS system. It is completely stand alone from the caprice, and not integrated into the caprice wiring at all. I re-located the pump down onto the frame rail and ran all new lines.

I used a firewall mounted booster and master system from CPP setup for rear disc. For that i used a kit for some other 10 bolt. I cannot find a good kit for the 5 on 5 bolt pattern so I used a different kit and turned the axle flange down on a lathe to fit inside the new rotors.

No matter what I could not get brakes to bleed. I could get all the air out, but they would never make pressure, pedal would go almost to the floor.

I got another abs pump and made up a box to cycle and hold the solenoids in the pump while i was bleeding.... still no pressure.

I removed the ABS and made all new hard lines, still no pressure

One day i was under the dash while the motor was running and i could hear a whistling vacuum noise. I found that the brand new booster was bad. it was drawing vacuum around the pushrod. When i took it off the truck all sorts of parts fell out.

So I will still get around to making the ABS work, and i will try to document what i do
Attached Images

jasonpotts is offline   Reply With Quote