View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #8
mr48chev

Re: Steering arms and tie rods.

I'd say that Nvrdone's answer explains my answer. it doesn't work.

The replacement ends have been around since the 80's at least and I know a number of guys who have used them even though I have never installed a set.

Any job shop machine shop can make a tie rod like Nvrdone had made plus a lot of rod shops can make one to length. The issue there is the left hand threads in one end.

I just kept my stock stuff greased and adjusted them when they got a tad loose. I put probably 150 K on the truck with that axle under it wearing out two sets of king pins between 1989 and 2003 when the engine was so worn out it wouldn't run anymore.

I'm thinking that a lot of guys do change out to the more modern style ends but it isn't a big deal that they talk about a lot. Just a rather simple change to replace worn pieces or in some cases to get a bit more tire clearance than the stock ends give. I had to run spacers on the truck with 205 tires to have clearance between the tire and the end but can slip by with 195 tires.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote