View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #438
SCOTI

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Well i really like the look honestly. Not dead set on it though. I do not like the idea of solid cab mount, makes ride not so nice for casual driving. What if i did as i think you mean, attach the bar to the cab floor and then what about attaching the back arms to the bed frame vs the actual frame?

I think i understand what you are getting at though. Hmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
If i was to bag the rear section, what are you thinking?
Mounting to the bed floor means the bars are strictly for appearances. The bed floor is hard mounted to the rails from the factory. You'd be attaching bars to material w/o enough bracing or thickness. Tying those bars through the cab wall w/the cab, bed, & frame all independent of each other I feel will be a major issue (headache) for you.

Rear suspension type won't matter here.

You are correct in that NVH harmonics will transfer on a solid mount set-up. This kind-of 'un-does' some of your efforts/upgrades to make for a better driving experience (interior metal dampening; noise reduction materials). I hate to say it but I think you 'gotta draw a line in the sand & choose between a good all-around driver or an occasional weekend warrior. Build toward that choice.

I would reach out to Level 7 Motorsports (https://www.levelsevenmotorsports.com/). He/they are building some of the best pro-touring classic trucks on the road & tracks. This is no corner-cutting shop either. I would ask for his insight on your cage idea & get his feedback. For reference, here's his Squarebody build w/a similar set-up & the way I would go about it so it's less of a visual thing & more of a legit performance addition. . . .....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote