View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #22
72c20customcamper

Re: Ever get tired of putting logs on the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
I have no idea how much wood we use in a season (most of the year, when it's not 95*). All I know is that it's a big fokking pile! Probably 6-8 cords or maybe more?

But we got a new stove last fall because our old one was falling apart, and it seems like we are using less wood from the pile. But although the cold started early, we have not had the extreme cold yet. It's been a dry open winter so far, except for all the snow we got in October and November.

The fall before last I bought a semi-load of logs from the guy that hauled logs for the logging contractor that I worked for 20+ years ago. It was $1200 for 50K pounds of mixed dry and green, no guarantee of the cordage but probably 15-20. I burned some of that last year but so far this season I've been working through a bunch of smaller stuff that I cut green a couple years ago to clear along fence lines, etc. So I've still got most of that semi load cut into blocks and stacked in the yard. I split everything by hand every day as we use it, except for some that I keep ahead in reserve in case I get sick or hurt.
Im two to three seasons out . I keep enough cut and split because I may not be able to due to injury or illness in the future. I had a hand operation and I couldnt cut or split for over a month I was going nuts .

It's also a great stress reliever and I get exercise
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote