View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #60
sick472

Re: Finishing Bed Wood with oil: Does it last, Let's just see

I've got an old farm trailer that I used oak in the floor to refurbish it about 20 years ago. I used motor oil thinned with diesel to treat it originally and have used vegetable oil thinned with gasoline once. It has had the vegi treatment once and the used oil twice. It's not pretty, but there is NO signs of decay. I'd forego the vegi oil, honestly. It works well but will be rather sticky for a few weeks. Long story short, I used vegi oil/gasoline as an alternative fuel for an old Mercedes for many years and had some extra oil that need to be used up. This trailer sets outside 100%. Oil treatment is my preferred method for outdoor wood. Clearcoats can make a fantastic show car, but just don't last on daily driver.

My 72 has had the Penofin oil/stain on the exposed portions with the POR-15 on the underside and will hit the streets this year...time will tell, but I'm betting on it to be worth it. I will likely hit it with another light coat of Penofin as it has been a few years since it's original treatment.

Thanks for your thread Jeffahart!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote