Thread: pdx-sanity66
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #768
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

Well, I've been real lazy about posting my progress but I have made a lot of progress and I've tried to check in on others work almost daily. By the way. thanks Karl. I have the doors epoxy primed and ready to continue with some more bodywork, I made a redneck scaffolding and got my roof lights wired, and I revisited my attempt to fix the passenger side rear corner of the hood that I totally botched the first attempt. It was so bad I'm embarrassed to show pics so I covered it up with a rag so I would quit being obsessed about it and let it go. My biggest dilemma was finding a patch. Trying to find a decent hood patch was not working out. I decided to cut out the bad patching job while looking for a solution. There are a lot of complex curves involved so I just didn't want to tackle fabricating what I needed.
So I'm sitting looking at the hole in the hood and I had an idea. If you take the cowl extension from the opposite side that you are working on, you can drill a few spot welds out (this gives you a perfect back lip) and then carefully cut the rest of the brackets including the extension. This gave me an almost perfect 12"x12" patch for the corner. I'd be surprised if nobody has thought of this but it worked out great. I had a bigger area that I needed to replace. I still had pieces of my donor hood to extend the patch another 3" or so. I welded the patches together and also used a piece to extend the bottom lip(the cowl extension has about a half inch lip so I welded a piece in to extend the lip to match the rest of the lip). I am very happy with the fit and I started to tack things in place. Here are some pics of the project.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote