Thread: New Neighbors
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #19
1976gmc20

Re: New Neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Amish and Mennonite have bought up much of the farmland around my wife's grandparents place as the old farmers die off and sell out. They're great people, great neighbors but they definitely have changed the "feel" of things. They use the land hard (build, excavate, clear, farm outside of modern practices for short term gain). And they hunt whatever, whenever and wherever they want. It used to be great deer country, that's over. At least it's still mom and pop farmland and not owned by China, Bill Gates or huge corporate farms. And they don't allow crazies lol.
Well, I don't know exactly what they're going to do with this place because a lot of it is vertical cliffs! Basically this land around here isn't good for much of anything except grazing cattle or sheep and you need thousands of acres to make that work considering how dry it is and how much of it is barren forest and rock formations.

There was a big ranch that was subdivided into quarter sections back in the 1970s, and then split into 80s, 40s, & 20s for rural homes like we have. We had 40 and now we have 60. There are other big ranches 1/4 mile south and 1/2 mile east from our place, and we can ride and hike on the one to the south. Also several miles to the west there are other real working ranch properties.

The Amish fellow that I talked to said they did construction back in Missouri and that he worked for the fellow that is buying the other half. But I am somewhat at a loss as to how they will make that work out here where you might have to drive 5, 10, 20, or 50 miles to a construction site ??? I'm sure that they can get a few jobs real close right away - I might even hire them for something after they get settled.

There have been Hutterites out here for generations, but they live in communal colony farms, most of which look like minimum security prisons. They drive vehicles and use modern equipment on large ag operations. It's pretty much a slave labor camp except for the elders in charge and those that manage to escape to normal society. Our experience trying to do business with them has been less than positive.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote