Thread: Plow Truck
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #8
biketopia

Re: Plow Truck

How much snow at time? You could use either of the trucks you have now if you wanted, or if you're looking for an excuse, here it is haha. Now, are you looking to keep it an old classic or move up into something a little more modern? Basics, 3/4 ton is fine, shortest wheelbase you can find if you're doing parking lots, turning radius saves time and shifts. Solid axle is nice but not manditory, I've pushed a lot with new GM trucks with indipendant front end and they work fine, just keep up on your maintenance. I prefer an auto for plowing, out of OD, manual 4x4. If you get a bigger heavier dully then you can maybe forgo 4x4 with the right tires and enough weight in the back. Either way I would put some sort of weight in the bed, even if it's just a few sand bags to help even out the weight distribution when driving with the plow up. We run boss plows at work and they have been pretty problem free except for the typical loose/corroded wiring from sitting all off season, but a quick test before the first snow and they're all good to go. A lot of the ones we have are the power V which is cool, but is more expensive, and heavier. Seems to be over kill for the snow we move. Having a V is nice for cutting a path in deep snow and you can also make a scoop with it for stacking snow, pushing in a scoop is very hard on the plow and truck. Also, composite plows are heavier than their steel counterparts, at least in the boss line up.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote