View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 06:38 PM   #63
OrrieG

Re: Finishing Bed Wood with oil: Does it last, Let's just see

[QUOTE=jeffahart;7757163]Here's an update on the Tung Oil. As said I will post as I do anything to the wood. I put another coat of oil on the wood a week ago. The wood did not look like it needed any oil. But I set out to put on another coat so, I did so.

Took about 15 minutes! Two week ago in anticipation of the applying more oil, I got out the can of white rustoleum and touched up some scratches in the bed strips and wheel wells. I did not tape, just touched up with a foam applicator. The following weekend, last weekend I applied the oil. I squeezed oil onto the wood from a condiment container. Then used a green scotch brite pad to spread the oil. I used light pressure. Then after a few minutes I wiped the whole thing down with a cloth. Done!

What the bedwood has been through since install till this reapplication. I have done a couple projects. One major refurbish or a rental house with lots of demo rubble. I chickened out and put a piece of sacrificial plywood down for protection. But after I finished that project, I used the plywood. And after that the truck bed has been used with no protection. One more minor demo project, and I had two 40gal trees with bare root balls in the bed. Big muddy mess with boots grinding mud into the bedwood. It hosed out fine and I wiped it with a wet wash towel after the hose out to get the ground in mud out.

It rained yesterday here so I also included a rain pic of the wood.

Found this thread getting ready to finish my bed. this is five years after you installed it, how did it hold up? Thanks
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote