View Single Post
Old 12-23-2021, 02:51 AM   #281
Cautrell05

Re: It's my turn, 47 S10 build

looking back through I forgot to post pictures of the running board mounts. Last summer we put a new hoist up at the shop and the main assembly came shipped on a pallet and they had some quarter inch thick L-shaped straps holding everything together with ready bolt. There's eight of them total. At the time I was looking at it thinking these have got to be useful for something so rather than chucking in the iron pile it threw them in the back of our one parts truck we have out back that's got potential metal stored in it. That's where we throw the odd and the regular stuff that might come in handy but we don't use it often enough to keep in the shop. Kind of like a junk drawer for fabricators. So when it came time to do the running board mounts originally I was going to use 1x2 1/8-in wall rectangular tubing because we got a bunch of that. And then I got to thinking about those L brackets. And they ended up being the perfect size for what I'm doing. And they were free. Which is also nice. The short leg of the bracket is wide enough that the factory quarter inch running board bolts can go through there with room for a nut and washer. Not a very big washer but enough. And then where it is bolted to the frame i used another section of the same bracket. I could have welded them but if they get bent folded or whatever I'd rather be able to take them off and fix them rather than have to cut them off and then weld them back on. I got the front two done c because they were the easy ones. I still need to get to the third one back at the front of the box. They are ridiculously solid though. I can stand on them and pretty much jump on them and I don't feel any flex at all. That's more than I can say for some of the $800 running boards that I installed on new pickups when I was at the dealership.
Attached Images

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote