View Single Post
Old 01-08-2022, 09:05 AM   #99
special-K
Special Order

Re: Funny truck stuff from the board members

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Yezzi isn't on here much but he is a big time squarebody guy and what you have are squarebody hubcaps. What he recommends is getting two hook tools, kind of look like dentist picks. Then drilling tiny holes on opposite sides of the hubcap. You can put the hooks in the holes and pull the hubcap edges apart and the hubcap off. I haven't tried it because I hate the idea of drilling holes in my hubcaps, but probably will. I'm definitely beating them up by prying them off. The hook method saves dinging up the hubcap and the wheel by prying. But maybe that hubcap tool works just as well?
I just noticed those picks are Milwaukee brand. They look to be nice quality. I never knew Milwaukee to offer auto mechanic tools until recently when I needed a long handle 1/4" drive ratchet wrench. I just received it last week and I am impressed with it's quality. I'm going to look at what they have to offer and, with crossed fingers, hope to find by some rare chance they are made in USA. I know, I'm such a dreamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Yup, make some kind of not-obvious mark by one or all nubs so that you're not tweaking the hubcap. I look back on how many hubcaps or wheel covers I removed without regard for how they may have been damaged, and hang my head. But then they were just cars and trucks. We (at least I) had no idea what these things would be worth, 30-40-50 years later!
So true. As I recall, back when wide steel wheels were run on cars and pickups, most ran open black wheels, maybe chrome lug nuts. California had the nicest styled vehicles and you would see color matched wheels or painted white to look stock, with dog dishes. On my first '72, in '73, I run black reverses for a while. The idea was gain a tough look. Then I decided I wanted a more refined look, so I painted them white and put '55 Chevy car dog dishes on (with all the bowties and white background). That truck was a Highlander (I didn't realize then) and I popped those Monte Carlo wheel covers off day 1
Many guys with trucks would pull the caps off because they were just a nuisance that would get ruined anyway. Most not removed got ruined. I've been amazed at how many nice 69-72 caps have been offered for sale since they caught on. I never could find any 20 years ago. Well, really hard to find. I think so many survived by being removed day 2 and stuffed in the garage. Most of the N.O.S. came from Hicktown truck dealerships.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote