View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #87
McDeezl

Re: '72 GMC long/fleet in Ottawa area

My buddy Scott delivered the bedwood today ..... sweet! Local white oak that he milled up in his shop. He's a craftsman timberframer so all set up for this stuff.
Finish on these will be an oil stain instead of varnish and Por15 on the underside. The results from the Mar-K tests are pretty conclusive for why I choose to go that way. Even the best varnish product money can buy gets eaten up by UV after a couple of years and you have to pull out the entire bed to refinish. Oil based stain may not have a coffee table varnish finish but it's a truck, not a coffee table! Reapply oil every year or two in a couple of hours I can live with that.
Oil stain product will be Ligna Exteria which is a Canadian product I believe. Not sure if it is available in the U.S. Was considering Penofin also but Scott uses Ligna and swears by it. Brought a couple of samples up and looks good to me. Will go with Mahogany stain as I prefer a darker brown-red look than the lighter natural stain look. The sample in photo is on red cedar so will be slightly lighter on white oak.
Attached Images