View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 10:47 AM   #14
hemi43

Re: When is it time to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmguy View Post
The only problem with that is the prices of projects are being drug up with all these high sales. Think about Broncos in the past decade. These project trucks are going be $30k and then you have to restore them. At some point you will have to get $100k to break even on these builds. Some of the trucks at these auctions have $20-30k in drivetrains not to mention paint and bodywork. Even if you do everything yourself you still need parts. And your time needs to be worth something. That is a lot of time to spend just to break even when you sell.
I understand what you're saying, but the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't cost that much to redo one of these if you spend your money wisely. Sure, if you're going to ship it out for body and paint it will cost a fortune.
Quality materials for paint is less than $2K if you can do it yourself.
As far as drivetrains, just buy a lower mileage late model donor truck. I bought an 03 Sierra for $500, and can guarantee you it runs and drives as well as a 30K drivetrain. The only thing I can't do is brag that I spent 30K on a drivetrain at the car shows. ;-)

As far as my time, it's still a hobby, so the enjoyment of restoring something is payment enough.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote