View Single Post
Old 04-02-2022, 06:07 PM   #1511
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

It's been awhile and not a ton of progress. Mainly waiting for parts delivery. After contacting Jegs for the nth time, and howards cams directly, it looked like I was still weeks away from delivery. So I dug into the interwebs some more and found lifters at Competition Products in stock. They also showed the cam I'm waiting for as in stock. So I emailed them to confirm and asked if they would sell me those parts for the same price as the kit, which they didn't have in stock. Turns out the cam was NOT in stock but they had the same one with a 112 LSA instead of the 110. I can live with that. And they didn't come down all the way on price but did give me about $50 off, which was nice. They didn't have to. I probably would have got it anyway just because they actually HAD IT IN STOCK! It cost a bit more than my Jegs order but at least I finally have it.

The only parts left to buy is push rods, which will need to be measured for. Hopefully those will be in stock.

So the short block will be assembled soon and painted chevy orange. The transmission was dropped off today to get rebuilt. I was a little leary of the guy, not that he seemed sketchy or anything. I just didn't really know his experience background. Finding local transmission guys that want to mess with a 200-4R isn't exactly easy. But we visited quite a bit today and he used to have his own auto shop for awhile but sold it and works as a mechanic foreman for UPS. He is a hot rodder and does mechanical work on the side. He has a twin turbo LS swapped RX7 with over 1200 HP and a trailblazer that is also turboed and makes over 1100 HP. He also has a 79 K20 he's working on. He recently did build a 2004R for a guy to put behind a big block that the guy is happy with. He'll tear mine down and make sure it's a good core and hopefully he can get the parts.

That's the status of the apparatus. Fingers crossed that parts aren't a problem and it's a good core. IDK if I'll get it done in May like I was hoping for but it's not like I have a shortage of toys around here to play with.

One pic from yesterday, cam bearings installed.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote