View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 01:00 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

Re: What have you done to your truck this week.

First things first on the 03 Tahoe 4wd. I washed off a lot of pollen. The crap was everywhere. I opened the doors and sprayed all of it that had accumulated in there too around the hinges.
Then I crawled under it to investigate an awful engine oil leak. The truck has 265,000 miles on it. It has great compression and runs great. It just leaks oil, a lot. We've had it for 10 years. We bought it for a daughter to drive. She moved on to an Avalanche and we kept the Tahoe just as an extra. Some years ago I took it to a shop to replace the main seal. They replaced the oil pan gasket instead. It still leaked. Some years go by and I wanted to sell the thing and be done with it. The wife wanted to keep it. Well now I need to put it back in service and got serious again about fixing the leak. I put it in another shop and told them with 265,000 miles the main seal needed to be replaced. They said the valve cover gaskets were pouring oil. I was skeptical but, well, I had not replaced them since we've owned it. Still leaks. I got under it and retightened the oil pan and it seemed to have fixed it. Feeling proud of my fix I moved onto interior cleanup. I cranked it up and low and behold it's pouring oil again. Right at the bell housing. So with it up on ramps I let it run while I laid under it watching the leak. I pulled the larger inspection plate off and just watched. Finally I saw the oil leaking straight down from the crankshaft as well as slinging oil to the bell housing to engine bolts. It looks like it might bleed to death!
This is a 4wd truck and at my age this is a bigger job than I want to partake by myself. So I will try a local shop again to get that main seal replaced. I guess because it is a big job not many shops want to do it? While the trans is out I want the oil pressure sender replaced too as I cannot even see it from the top side and, well, it's probably the original too. We'll see.
Any ideas on what this job will cost?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote