View Single Post
Old 04-20-2022, 11:02 PM   #1481
cwcarpenter98

Re: Post your 60-66 craigslist finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60short View Post

cLicky CliCky

looks like one of them OD transmissions - does anybody know if this is the same length as a standard 3 speed ( ie drive shaft length changes?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetnat View Post
I am fairly certain the 3 speed OD transmission is the same length as the long tailshaft 3 speed transmission, like the one pictured here. I believe the spline count is different, so you need a different slip yoke, but otherwise fits with the current driveshaft.
That's a good deal for that transmission! I would buy that in a heart beat if it was close by

Yes, the 4 bolt side cover overdrive transmissions are the same length as the long tail shaft 3 speeds. I have two of the overdrive transmissions. The one currently in my truck came out of a 65 C10. I forget the count, but it has finer splines on the output shaft than the standard 3 speed I pulled out of my truck. The other overdrive that I have has the same spline count as the old 3 speed I pulled out.
I believe the output shaft spline count ran from 55-64 and then changed in 65. Another difference I noticed is that the input shaft necked down on my 55-64 overdrive trans but did not neck down on the 65 I put in the truck.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote